Friday, May 11, 2012

A New Start

"Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? 
Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it's been a week since I have arrived in San Antonio... It feels like it's been a month! It feels like graduation was ages ago.

Part of me still can't believe I'm really here. Just month ago I barely had an idea of where I would be at this point in time. I never would have guessed that I would have had to drop everything in my life for an opportunity that God just dropped into my lap. 

The hardest part of this first week has definitely been adjusting to a new reality. Realizing that this is not Miami. I'm 1,400 miles away from a family that I love and that loves me; from my closest friends who I've done life with over the years; from a church where I have grown and served for years; from everything that I've ever known.

Without a doubt, the most difficult thing I had to do was say goodbye.

But I know that God brought me here for a purpose. To make a difference. He cleared every obstacle and created a clear and straight path that I knew I needed to take. So here I am. 

Now more than ever before, I've had to lean on God and trust in his plan for me. There are moments where I thought "What am I doing here?" "This was a mistake." But I knew that wasn't God. That was me and my own fear. That was me trying to do everything at once and on my own, trying to take control of the situation. I might be far from home but the struggles I faced with surrendering control to God, a struggle that he has chipped away at for years through my walk, lingered. 

I quickly understood that I couldn't keep going like this. I might have gotten away with it in Miami, when there were other things that I could fall back on (albeit temporarily), but not here in San Antonio. It was trust either trust in God, who brought me here, or sink trying to rely on my own strength and ability. The right choice was clear, although truly making that choice and walking it out sometimes proved difficult. 

After one week here, I definitely feel more confident and more comfortable that the first couple of days. But it's not because of what I have done, but because of what God has already done. It was understanding that my role in all this was simple: step out in obedience. He'll take care of the rest. He always has. And I know he always will.

If you are entering into a transitional period of your life, maybe a new job, a new location, a new school... whatever it might be, don't be discouraged. Don't fret. When everything is rushing through your head and you're not sure where to go or what to do next, just stop. Be still and breathe. And know that God is God. Know that he knows what you are going through and he brought you to where you are for a reason. Walk boldly and confidently in that truth.    

For those back home who have been praying and encouraging me, thank you. It means more to me than you'll ever know. I'm so blessed to have all of you at my back. Miss you all! 
--------------------------------------
SCRIPTURE REFERENCE: Philippians 4:4, Matthew 9:9, Corinthians 9:24-26     

No comments:

Post a Comment