Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hold On To The Promises

When we are faced with uncertainty, with doubts, with questions about the future, or really any kind of hardship, it becomes easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. We instinctively get lost in our dark moment, our storm, our circumstance... we become consumed by it. 

It's easy to have faith when things are going well. But how about when things get tough?

I'm a music junkie, I love finding new music, reading the lyrics, dissecting their meaning and trying to apply it to my own life. A song recently made its way onto the radio, a new song by one of my favorite bands Sanctus Real called "Promises". The first time I heard it, it hit me close to home. It was a reminder to hold on to the most important thing we have. To hold on to the hope that never dies, the love that never ends, the grace that never ceases, the One who is always faithful. To hold on to the promises and truth of God's Word.




Sometimes it's hard to keep believing
In what you can't see
That everything happens for a reason
Even the worst life brings 

I don't think there's a person on the planet who hasn't asked "Why?" at some point. Why did something we pray for not come to fruition. Why did someone we love suffer harm. Why we go through difficult trials and stormy seasons of life. I don't think we'll ever truly have an answer to those questions. I know I have questions. I know I have doubts. We won't always know why.

For many of us, are toughest and darkest days lie ahead. There will be tough times. Trying times. It's a scary thought, I know it scares me.

If you're reaching for an answer
And you don't know what to pray
Just open up the pages
Let His word be your strength 

I've been hit with a lot of uncertainty lately, especially with my job situation. I was hit by fear, by doubt, by worry and anxiety. It was a frightening time because I felt like I had just fallen off a cliff, like I was free falling without a parachute not knowing where I was going to land.

But when I opened up God's Word, He led me to Psalm 25... "My eyes are always on the Lord, for He will pull my feet out of the net. Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am alone and afflicted. The distresses of my heart increase; bring me out of my sufferings." It was a reminder to hold on the truth of who He is. That He is faithful and trustworthy. What did I have to worry about? What is there to be anxious about? In my life, God had proven to be faithful over and over. Whenever I was in need, He always delivered and always came through. I just had to lift up my eyes and realize where my help and my hope came from.

And hold on to the promises 
Hold on to the promises 
Jesus is alive so hold tight
Hold on to the promises 

It is in those difficult circumstances, those tough times, when we need to hold on to God's promises more than ever. To depend on the Lord, who promises to give us a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11), supply us in our need (Philippians 4:19) life to the full (John 10:10). That doesn't mean that everything in life will go smoothly, but it means He'll be there when things get rough.

All things work for the good
Of those who love God
He holds back nothing that will heal you
Not even His own Son 

We have been given the greatest gift of all: God's One and Only Son. With whom the victory is already won. He is our healer, comforter, counselor, friend and savior. God proved His love and faithfulness by sending us His Son. Why should we doubt that He would not be here with us now?

His love is everlasting
His faithfulness unending
Oh, if God is for us who can be against us
So if you feel weak... Hold on to the promises

I will never fully comprehend God's love. I will never understand God's faithfulness. I will never have a grasp on how good and how great God is. It should give us confidence to know that the God who loves us, the creator of everything, is on our side, fighting on our behalf. No enemy, no circumstance, no trial is bigger than our God. Nothing can stand against His purpose and will. That should give us strength to stand, courage to continue, endurance to press on.

Neither life, nor death
Could separate us
From the eternal love
Of our God who saves us

No matter what happens here, nothing could ever separate us from God's great love. Nothing can happen that would cause God to not be there. He is mighty to save, worthy of our trust in good times and bad. God never changes. He is always faithful. Always loving. Always ready to meet our needs if we would just surrender and depend on Him rather than our own strength and ability.

"Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Can affliction or anguish or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: Because of You we are being put to death all day long; we are counted as sheep to be slaughtered. No, in all these things we are more than victorious  through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that not even death or life,  angels or rulers,  things present or things to come, ⌊hostile⌋ powers, height or depth, or any other created thing will have the power to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord!" 
- Romans 8:35-39

No comments:

Post a Comment